Historically and currently, women have influenced contemporary society with remarkable achievements. Each student will be assigned a woman who has made a significant impact on society and write a biographical paper. For the paper, students will investigate the life of the assigned woman and her contributions to society and critically reflect on her influence and legacy. Refer to the Assessment of Written Work rubric in D2L for evaluation criteria.
- For this assignment, tell the story of a woman’s life. Include the achievements, events, relationships, places, and anything else that have been influential in this woman’s life – for herself and for others. Be detailed so a reader would feel as though actual events are being watched as they unfold. As the story progresses, focus on what you are learning about the woman’s significant achievements, events, relationships, places, etc. Such significant points make the essay interesting to read and more than just a story.
- Organize the paper in chronological order. Since life moves in chronological order, your paper should unfold in the same way. The only parts of the paper that do not have to be in chronological order are the introduction and conclusion paragraphs. In the introductory paragraph, present the purpose of the paper and an overview of the significance of this woman’s life to give the reader a glimpse of what is to come in the paper.
- As the story unfolds, include correct names of people, places, events, etc. Use the woman’s name throughout the paper. After using her full name once, then refer to the woman by her last name.
- Write the paper in paragraph format and include the following information and use these subheadings in bold:
Introduction ½ page
Your specific sub-headings in this section 2-2 ½ pages
This is the main body of your paper. Here, you will include biographical points about the woman.
Summary & Reflection 1 page
Summarize your reflections of what you learned about this woman in relation to the HSL 3831
course. Ask yourself questions such as: What did I learn and gain from this writing about this
woman and her life? What did I find inspirational or powerful? How has this woman shaped and
References: Using APA format, provide reference information. A minimum of three
professional/quality sources (avoid using: Wikipedia, about.com, popular press magazines)
- Upload the paper to the designated d2l dropbox on or by the due date
- Length: 3 ½ – 4 pages maximum (this does not count reference page)
- Double space
AGAIN THE WOMAN YOU ARE WRITING ABOUT NAME IS SONIA SOTOMAYOR